Sunday, August 14, 2011

Patience

I am not the most patient person in the world. Probably the opposite. I try to improve a little more each day. I find that having a very intelligent, very outspoken, and very creative child have given more "opportunities" to try being more patient. Some days it works, some days not so much.

I am a fortunate parent. My daughter is able to express herself so clearly, and is so self-aware. She was utterly exhausted after a day at the county fair. She took rides in the stroller when the walking was too long. She drank lots of water and lemonade to keep cool. She rode many rides to have fun, and even tossed a few ping-pong balls to win a couple of goldfish. But, at the end of the day, breaks or not, it was too much. She said, "I miss my doggies, and I want to go home now." We started for the exits, which is in and of itself a trek. I took a brief detour for a fresh mango, which I thought would perk her up. Never found the mango, but the poor tired girl just collapsed on the sidewalk in front of her auntie and couldn't hold back the tears, and was overcome.

I scooped her up and we started for the car. On the way home, she kept crying that she wanted me to carry her. Being in the car and moving, of course I told her she had to stay in her carseat to be safe. She was very upset, and I told her it was OK to be upset, mad, and even to cry as loudly as she needed to cry. She wailed most of the way home, and I carried her immediately to her bed in her very cool room. She seemed likely to fall asleep within seconds. I headed upstairs to grab something to drink and drop off all the gear we were hauling around. She started calling from downstairs, and I heard her coming up the stairs but couldn't make out what she was saying. Finally, I reached her and, "I said I'm gonna puke!" She was dutifully walking upstairs to tell me, instead of going to her bathroom downstairs. She needed mommy.

As I swept her into the bathtub and let her relax, get rinsed off, and cooled her down, I realized how amazingly fortunate I really am in this life. I have the smartest and funniest young companion. She always tells me what is going on in her head, her heart, her tummy. She still needs mommy when she feels sick. I will miss this someday. And yes, even the puke. It will all be missed to the point of tears, I promise you.

And, so, I learn more patience every day that I am still walking, running, shuffling along. I am grateful for that. That and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment